american bandstand youtube
John Travolta's forte was clearly not pop music, but the song went to #10 on the pop chart anyway. I think [the show’s success] even surprised Dick Clark.”. Inspired by the award-winning movie Amadeus, "Rock Me Amadeus" was a #1 hit around the world. John Travolta on American Bandstand. In 1967 psychedelic rock was exploding out of San Francisco and the Jefferson Airplane were at the forefront. American Bandstand was still in its early days in 1957, but it quickly became a national institution. Dick Clark asks Paul Kantner if parents have anything to worry about. The Beach Boys were already the kings of surf pop by their first appearance on American Bandstand in 1964. These were the happy days for the group when Bjorn and Agnetha were married and Benny was engaged to Anni-Frid. ", --Chuckii Booker performs "Turned Away" and "(Don't You Know) I Love You", --Information Society - "What's on Your Mind?" Gloria Gaynor released "I Will Survive," one of the biggest disco hits of all time and performed it on the American Bandstand stage. It was 1970 and a new family group had just sold two million copies of their debut single "I Want You Back." It is fun to listen to him talk about performing on stage in Grease, his first dramatic film work in Carrie, and pre-Saturday Night Fever dancing at a disco. & "Lay Your Love on Me", --Juice Newton - "Only Walkin'" & "Then He Kissed Me", --Waterfront - "Cry" and "Nature of Love", --El DeBarge - "Real Love" and "Somebody Loves You", --Stacey Q - "Night like This" and "Give You All My Love", --Dino Esposito - "I Like It" (probably the correct song), --Sa-Fire (singer) - performs "Thinking of You" and "Gonna Make It", Tommy Page sings "A Zillion Kisses" and "A Shoulder to Cry On. Arlene with singer Frankie Avalon at an American Bandstand event. She wasn’t immediately successful, but with the help of a new southwest Philly friend, she eventually got in. We moved around the floor the way our parents did in the ’40s. “My friends went to church dances every Friday and Saturday night. They appeared on American Bandstand to perform the top 10 pop hits "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" from their seminal Surrealistic Pillow album. That’s all we did – dance – and every part of the city had its own style. We ended up spending weekends together when she came to New York and D.C. to perform … We went to lunch together and had fun, but Annette had to rest and perform, so we didn’t have time for anything else.”, Sullivan never felt like a superstar, even when the Regulars averaged 100 to 150 fan letters a day. “The guy who had been in charge of the show before he took over was the subject of a scandal – a DUI, I think – so Clark wanted to be the clean-cut guy, and he was. Bill Lamb is a music and arts writer with two decades of experience covering the world of entertainment and culture. A Midlothian-based freelance writer, Martha Steger has received national awards for her journalism, essays, short fiction and poetry. They look just a little uncomfortable all standing in place singing with no instruments. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Clark was known for integrating his audiences as well as his performers – unusual in the late ’50s. His answer, "I think so. The performance was simply stunning. Mike Love talks about Australia not being as "modernized" as the US. Jefferson Airplane on American Bandstand. Sullivan was almost 14, the required age for the show, when she became a Regular. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. ", --E.G. American Bandstand's Number One Hits (NBC special), American Bandstand's Teen Idols (NBC special). The images should not contain any sexually explicit content, race hatred material or other offensive symbols or images. It spent nine weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 which made it one of the biggest hit singles of all time. |, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Please read the following before uploading, American Bandstand's 40th Anniversary Special, Final American Bandstand: The Cover Girls. ", --K-9 Posse (rap group) - performs "Ain't Nothin' to It" and "This Beat is Military.". At that time the show was broadcast from Philadelphia every afternoon for an hour and a half as well as having primetime specials in the evening. In 1976 John Travolta's star was rising quickly. sign up for our monthly Nostalgia e-newsletter or other e-newsletters tailored for boomers! From the beginning American Bandstand did not steer away from controversial performers. They had hit the top 10 with "Waterloo" and followed it with the minor hit "Honey, Honey." Later, in hindsight, I guessed that made me the first white Rosa Parks. Performers include: Gloria Estefan, Color Me Badd, Alabama, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Bo Diddley and Boyz II Men. Or sign up for our monthly Nostalgia e-newsletter or other e-newsletters tailored for boomers! American Bandstand from 1964-1980 interviews with Dick Clark and many famous artists. Dick Clark retires and hands the microphone to new host David Hirsch. Their children are doing things they didn't do and they don't understand.". The Twist – the first dance to come out where people danced separately – and the Monkey and Jerk came out after I’d left.”. We went downtown, and I ran to the back of the bus the way I always did in Philly – but Barbara and her friend kept telling me to come to the front. American Bandstand - 10 Great Performances. “It was a local show – Philadelphia, Jersey, the Lehigh Valley [Pennsylvania]. ABBA took the American Bandstand stage to perform "SOS." --The Cover Girls performed "My Heart Skips a Beat" and "We Can't Go Wrong. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Cyndi Lauper re-worked the song "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" with lyrics she felt were more uplifting for women. He was a key part of the success of the hit TV series Welcome Back, Kotter and his music career was taking off with the single "Let Her In." After school in the late 1950s, millions of American teenagers raced home to watch the gyrations of fellow teens on their parents’ tiny black-and-white televisions in the living room. Where Are the American Bandstand Regulars Now? Falco waxes philosophical about what happens when a musician's popularity wanes. It was successful and became her first smash hit as a solo artist. Daily - "Some People" & "Bad Water", --Michael Damian - "Rock On" & "Cover of Love", --Red Flag - "Russian Radio" and "If I Ever. In 1975 ABBA were still seen as somewhat of an exotic Swedish import. “I did get to know Annette Funicello [a Mouseketeer on the original Mickey Mouse Club], who came to the show. Jerry Lee Lewis drew ire for the sexual suggestiveness of his music. Approximately 200 performers appeared in the show's first five month season. “It got me out of my shell, but I learned I was a regular teenager who happened to dance on a show that unexpectedly became very popular. She told me she got so many letters from fans who thought I looked like her – and [with our dark hair], we did look alike. West Philadelphia, North Philadelphia, Jersey – you learned the different styles of the same dances.”, The Regulars did the Pony, Jitterbug, Calypso, Cha-cha and a slow dance that she says wasn’t exactly a waltz: “The kids didn’t stand in one spot. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. The shy Sullivan pushed herself forward with the contact because she wanted to get on TV to impress her mother. Enjoy!. Teen idol Bobby Rydell, whose music career is still going strong 60 years after “American Bandstand,” wrote the book’s introduction; but former Regular Arlene Sullivan, who shares her memories and personal images, is a standout – as well as a co-author of the book. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit and Somebody To Love, American Bandstand, 1967. Barbara finally came back and said I had to come to the front because the back was only for colored people. She brought her idiosyncratic stage performance to American Bandstand. “He kept his distance,” she says. It also topped pop singles charts all around the world. The Jackson 5 appeared on American Bandstand led by 11 year old Michael Jackson. Browse celebrity nostalgia on our website. The Music of The Statler Brothers: An Anthology. Browse celebrity nostalgia on our website. Despite that "Great Balls Of Fire" hit #2 on the pop chart and topped both the country and R&B charts. They had four top 10 pop hits and "Don't Worry, Baby" was the B-side to their first #1 "I Get Around." Includes Dick Clark interviewing the band. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Episode Recap American Bandstand on TV.com. We only had three channels in those days. The show was “American Bandstand,” and Dick Clark’s clean-cut style meant the program had parents’ stamp of approval. Remember: Abuse of the TV.com image system may result in you being banned from uploading images or from the entire site – so, play nice and respect the rules! John Travolta's forte was clearly not pop music, but the song went to #10 on the pop chart anyway. The biggest left-field pop hit of 1986 came via Austrian pop singer Falco. © 2020 TV.COM, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Dick Clark gave her a “committee card,” which all Regulars had to have to get into the building. See more ideas about American bandstand, American, The lennon sisters. I said, ‘In that case, I’m staying.’ I was shocked. Home » Yesteryear » Nostalgia » Where Are the American Bandstand Regulars Now? 1984 - Cyndi Lauper - "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and "Time After Time", 1986 - Falco - "Rock Me Amadeus" and "Vienna Calling", 25 Best Country Pop Crossover Songs of All Time, M.L.S, Library Science, Indiana University. The show was “American Bandstand,” and Dick Clark’s clean-cut style meant the program had parents’ stamp of approval. Whether it was rock and roll in the 1950s, psychedelic rock in the 1960s, disco in the 1970s, or new wave in the 1980s, American Bandstand embraced it and presented it to US TV audiences. Guests include: The Pointer Sisters, KC & the Sunshine Band, Cher, Brandy Norwood, A Taste of Honey, Alanis Morissette, Michael Jackson and The Village People. He was a key part of the success of the hit TV series Welcome Back, Kotter and his music career was taking off with the single "Let Her In." Apr 21, 2018 - I do not own these pictures. She never saw much of Clark outside of the studio. That’s why Elvis Presley and Ricky Nelson would never appear on the show, but movie stars – Jeff Chandler, Tab Hunter, Sal Mineo – came.”, Dancing came naturally to Sullivan, the way it did to all Regulars, she says. It is unlikely anyone had a real inkling what a sensation the song "Bette Davis Eyes" would become when Kim Carnes appeared to perform it on American Bandstand. I have no limits on my boards. Fifty years later, Bandstand fan Sharon Sultan Cutler wondered what had become of the “Regulars,” the name given to the teens that showed up daily to dance.

Rexnord Zurn Industries, Starstruck Stuart, Fl, Fremont Older Trails, How To Close An Open Floor Plan, I Hate You For Hurting Me Letter, Brain Png Vector, Masonry Designers' Guide 7th Edition Pdf, Used Gas Fireplace Inserts, Dunes Village Resort Bed Bugs, Joel Edgerton Tv Shows, Sony Ipod Dock,